Mobile Home Residency Law

What is the Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program (MRLPP)?

The MRLPP provides assistance in resolving certain disputes between mobilehome homeowners and mobilehome park owners or managers. The MRLPP selects the most severe alleged violations of the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) for potential referral to a contracted nonprofit legal service provider if the complaint cannot be resolved between the affected parties. The MRLPP may also refer complaints, or portions of complaints, to the appropriate enforcement agency for investigation or further action.

What types of complaints can be filed with the MRLPP?

The MRL is the “landlord-tenant law” for mobilehome park tenants and mobilehome park owners, and covers rental agreements, park management, termination of tenancy, fees charged by mobilehome park owners, and more.

How do I submit an MRLPP complaint?

Homeowners may submit a complaint by telephone at (800) 952-8356, or may submit an MRLPP Complaint Form, available via phone, mail, or online at

Information that will be requested by the MRLPP: 1) proof of mobilehome ownership, 2) the name, address, and phone number of the mobilehome park indicated in the complaint, and 3) any documents or facts that are relevant to the alleged violations of the MRL.

What happens once I submit an MRLPP complaint?

Once a complaint is received, the MRLPP reviews the complaint to determine whether the allegation is a potential MRL allegation. If a potential MRL allegation is identified, the complaint may be selected for further assistance, including good faith negotiations with the mobilehome park and/or referral to a contracted nonprofit legal service provider. Many complaints do not meet the criteria, however, the MRLPP may be able to provide assistance, information, and/or resources.

I rent my mobilehome and am a tenant. Can I submit an MRLPP complaint?

Only mobilehome owners can file a complaint through the MRLPP. Tenants who rent their home from a mobilehome owner are protected by the MRL and may choose to pursue a civil action, but at their own expense. However, the MRLPP may still be able to provide assistance, information, and/or resources.

Even if we can’t help you directly, we can point you in the right direction.


Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program 

Department of Housing and Community Development 

P.O. Box 278690 

Sacramento, CA 95827

The Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program cannot arbitrate, mediate, or offer any legal advice. Participation in the MRLPP does not prevent you from seeking legal advice from a licensed attorney or legal aid provider, or from contacting local officials for assistance


Most of the provisions of the California Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) were enacted piecemeal over a number of years and eventually codified under Chapter 2.5 of the Civil Code in 1978. Since 1978, a number of sections have been amended and others added to the Code.
The MRL is divided into nine Articles, by subject, as indicated in the accompanying Table of Contents.

The Mobilehome Residency Law, like provisions of conventional landlord-tenant law, are enforced by the courts; that is, the disputing parties must enforce the MRL against one another in a court of law. The State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) does not have authority to enforce these Civil Code provisions. For example, a park owner must utilize an unlawful detainer procedure in a court to evict a homeowner for non-payment of rent or failure to abide by reasonable park rules. By the same token, a manufactured homeowner must bring legal action, in court, to enforce a notice or other MRL requirement, or obtain an injunction, if the management will not otherwise abide by the MRL.

Other selected laws not part of the MRL but related to park residency are included in this handbook. These include the Recreational Vehicle Park Occupancy Law, first enacted in 1979, which governs tenancies in RV parks. The RV Park Occupancy Law was substantially revised in 1992, dividing it into seven Articles. Also enclosed are relevant laws on mobilehome resale disclosure, park emergency preparedness plans, mobilehome park polling places, registration and titles, and traffic enforcement in mobilehome parks.

NOTE: Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program (MRLPP). Beginning July 1, 2021, any mobilehome or manufactured homeowner living in a mobilehome park under a rental agreement may submit a complaint for an alleged violation of the Mobilehome Residency Law. Any mobilehome or manufactured homeowner residing in a permitted mobilehome park is eligible to submit a complaint. Complaints must be submitted to HCD. HCD provides assistance to help resolve and coordinate resolution of the most severe alleged violations of the Mobilehome Residency Law. For questions regarding the MRLPP please call (800) 952-8356, email or visit

For the 2022 edition, there are significant legislation changes that affect the MRL. AB 861 (CIV 798.23) requires mobilehome park management to comply with any park rule or regulation prohibiting mobilehome owners from renting or subleasing unless renting or subleasing to an employee. AB 978 (CIV 798.30.5) set specific restrictions for mobilehome parks located between two incorporated cities. AB 1061 (CIV 798.40) sets specific requirements for mobilehome parks that have individual water submeters to bill for water. AB 1584 (CIV 798.56) clarifies a manufactured home can be considered an ADU if it meets specified requirements.

View the Full Mobile Home Residency Law here

Back to our main help page

Back to our main website

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us