Being overcharged on utility bills?

Most parks are “master-meter” operators that own, operate and maintain the electric, gas and water distribution system within the park and bill their residents with the monthly rent statement. Under the state Public Utilities Code, master-meter customers (parks) shall charge no more than the local serving utility would charge a resident, including passing through any low-income rebates or discounts, such as “CARE.” Residents can call County Weights and Measures (W&M) to have them check the accuracy of their meters and assure they have been correctly calibrated. Some W&M offices are willing to look into billing complaints, such as failure to provide proper billings or post rates, but most only check the accuracy of the meters. The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) is required to take informal complaints (800-649-7570) from residents in master-meter parks. The CPUC often refers 2021 MRL FAQs 71 these complaints to the serving utility to work out with the park management. If a third-party billing agent prepares the utility billings for the park, the management shall disclose the contact information of the billing agent on residents’ billings. (Civil Code §798.40(b)) 


● The resident must prove overcharges. 

● CPUC is required to take informal complaints (800-649-7570). 

● Contact information for the third-party billing agent must be disclosed on the residents’ utility bil

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us